Linking of PAN-AADHAR: The deadline to link your Permanent Account Number (PAN) and Aadhaar is March 31, 2023. Do note that now there is a penalty applicable for linking PAN with Aadhaar. If you link your PAN with your Aadhaar now, then you are liable to pay a late fee of Rs 1,000 as the last date for linking without penalty was June 30, 2022 which is already past.
Why You Should Link Your PAN and Aadhaar Card Before March 31, 2023
Linking of PAN-AADHAR: PAN (Permanent Account Number) and Aadhaar (Unique Identification Number) are two important documents that every Indian citizen should have. They serve as identity proofs and also help in various financial transactions such as filing income tax returns, opening bank accounts, applying for loans, etc.
However, having these documents is not enough. You also need to link your PAN and Aadhaar card before March 31, 2023. This is a mandatory requirement as per Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act 1961. If you fail to do so, you may face some serious consequences such as:
- Your PAN will become invalid and you will not be able to use it for any purpose.
- You will not be able to file your income tax returns or claim refunds.
- You may have to pay a penalty of up to Rs 10,000 for violating the law.
- You may face difficulties in availing various government schemes and subsidies that require Aadhaar authentication.
Therefore, it is advisable to link your PAN and Aadhaar card as soon as possible. Here are some easy ways to do it:
How to Link your PAN and Aadhaar Card Online
Linking of PAN-AADHAR: One of the simplest ways to link your PAN and Aadhaar card online is through the official website of Income Tax Department www.incometax.gov.in. You can also use other websites or apps that offer online PAN-Aadhaar linking services such as HDFC Bank or UTIITSL.or
To link your PAN and Aadhaar card online, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit the website or app that offers online PAN-Aadhaar linking service.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number along with other details such as name, date of birth, gender etc.
- Verify your details by entering an OTP (One Time Password) sent to your registered mobile number or email id.
- Submit the request and get a confirmation message on successful linking.
How to Link your PAN and Aadhaar Card Through SMS
Another convenient way to link your PAN and Aadhaar card is through SMS. You can send an SMS from your registered mobile number to either 567678 or 56161 with the following format:
UIDPAN<space><12 digit Aadhaar number><space><10 digit PAN>
For example: UIDPAN 123456789012 ABCDE1234F
You will receive an SMS confirmation on successful linking.
How to Link your PAN and Aadhaar Card Through Web Portal
A third option to link your PAN and Aadhaar card is through a web portal provided by Income Tax Department eportal.incometax.gov.in or incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. This option requires you to register on the portal with your PAN as the user id if not already done.
To link your PAN and Aadhaar card through web portal, you need to follow these steps:
- Log into the portal with your user id, password and date of birth.
- A pop-up window will appear to link PAN with Aadhaar or go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the Menu bar and click on Link Aadhaar.
- Enter your details such as name, date of birth, gender etc. as per both documents.
- Tick on ‘I agree’ checkbox after verifying all details carefully
- Click on ‘Link Now’ button You will get a message stating that “Your request has been submitted successfully”.
Benefits of linking your PAN and Aadhar card
Linking of PAN-AADHAR card has many benefits such as:
- Simplifying the process of filing income tax returns
- Reducing errors in verification of identity
- Preventing frauds and misuse of documents
- Enhancing transparency in financial transactions
What will happen if you don’t link your PAN and Aadhaar by March 31, 2023?
Here is a possible article about the consequences of not linking PAN with Aadhaar:
The government has made it mandatory for all taxpayers to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) with their Aadhaar number by March 31, 2023. This is to prevent tax evasion and frauds using multiple PAN cards. If you have not linked your PAN and Aadhaar yet, you should do it as soon as possible to avoid any inconvenience and penalty.
According to the Income Tax Department, if you do not link your PAN and Aadhaar before March 31, 2023, your PAN will become inactive. This means that you will not be able to use your PAN for any financial transactions where quoting of PAN is mandatory. Some of these transactions are:
- Filing income tax returns
- Opening a bank account
- Applying for a loan or credit card
- Buying or selling property or shares
- Making cash deposits or withdrawals above Rs 50,000
- Investing in mutual funds or insurance
If you link your PAN to your Aadhaar after March 31, 2023, you will have to pay a late fee of Rs 1,000 as per Section 234H of the Income Tax Act. This fee will be in addition to any other penalty that may be imposed by the Income Tax Department for non-compliance.
Therefore, it is advisable to link your PAN and Aadhaar before the deadline to avoid any hassle and extra cost. You can link your PAN and Aadhaar online through the e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department.
Who are Exempted from PAN-AADHAR Linking
However, some categories of people are exempted from linking their PAN with Aadhaar. These are:
- Non-residents as per Income Tax Act
- Individuals above 80 years of age
- Individuals residing in Assam, Jammu & Kashmir and Meghalaya
- Individuals who do not have an Aadhaar number or have applied for one but have not received it yet
If you belong to any of these categories, you can furnish a copy of your passport, voter ID card or driving license instead of Aadhaar while filing your income tax returns.
To check whether your PAN and Aadhaar are linked or not, you can visit https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/AadhaarPreloginStatus.html and enter your PAN and Aadhaar number. You will get a confirmation message if they are linked successfully.
Linking your PAN and Aadhaar is a simple process that can save you from a lot of trouble later on.
So don’t delay it any further and do it today!